I started out meditating partially because it was this new trend and partly because I”m a high energy high strung kind of guy. I didn’t really understand it and the point of it.
For me, meditation has evolved over time. Going from something where I try to relax and shut off the outside world, to a time that I get to spend with God.
I’m going to explain how I meditate. I don’t exactly know what kind of meditation that I do, and it could very well be different each time I do it. I find a quiet place that is comfortable. For a long time, I lay in my basement on a futon and take a few deep breaths starting from my belly to my lungs and filling my mouth. Then slowly exhale. After I get semi-relaxed I put on a youtube video with guided meditation.
There are two main videos I use. One by Wayne Dyer called the “I AM” Giudeded Medidtatation found here the video starts into meditation sounds at about 7 minutes 30 seconds and but I wouldn’t call this a true guided meditation as there is no one speaking. The other is Law of Attraction Meditation – Speed Up Your Manifestations This one I would call a true guided meditation as there is a soft voice speaking over the tones guiding you what to do both videos I lay down and close my eyes and take deep breaths.
When I start my breathing and relaxing as the law of attraction video would guide you through. I think about the things I”m thankful for and try to express true gratitude for everything that God has given me in my life.
After about 2-4 minutes of breaths and listening to the video my body goes into a state where my arms and hands are tingling and I can see pictures in my mind’s eye (thoughts) clearly. This is when I speak over myself affirmations or visualize pictures of what it is that I want for myself. My mind will wander and once I notice it wandering I will bring it back to what I”m thinking on and visualize whatever it is that I”m wanting as if it’s already happened.
The five benefits I experience from my time meditating are as follows
- Connection to God – Being connected to God, spending time with God excites me and the more time that I feel connected with God the more I feel I can glean from his presence. There are a few verses that stand out when I think about this. Matthew 6:33 – “Seek first his kingdom and his righteousness, and all these things will be given to you as well”. Mathew 6:6 – “But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you” and my favorite verse of these is John 15:4-7 “Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, it is he that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in me he is thrown away like a branch and withers; and the branches are gathered, thrown into the fire, and burned. If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you.”Truly inspiring words to want to draw you into the presence and glory of God.
- Clears mental space – when we are, go go go all day. When we are constantly on our phones day in and day out, doing little repeated tasks we become cluttered with mental fatigue. We need to take time to empty our thoughts, this doesn’t mean stop thinking. But simply to give our minds time to clear out the rubbish. Our minds naturally do this in our sleep, but I find it exciting to create space in my mind for creative ideas which pour in as a result.
- Reduces stress – one thing that I do when cleaning mental space that affects my stress levels is breathing in God, I let God come into my body with my mind. When I exhale I breath out the stress of the day. The rubbish, and all the worries. I essentially let God take them from me. I pretend that I’m this cup that God can fill up and I’m purified in his overflow. Everything that has bothered me for that week gets to go into his hands, I then no longer worry as I know God has everything in his hands…. The whole world. lol
- Brings me clarity and focus – I consider myself fairly goal oriented. When there is something I want to do, have done or want to accomplish. I like to meditate on it. What I find is when I have a picture in my mind of what I want to accomplish ideas will come to me for how I’m supposed to accomplish it, the best way to, the best time to. Even the right people to talk to, to accomplish something. When you take time to set your attention on something you begin the process of focus and clarity.
- Co-create with god – If you’ve watched the movie the secret, then you’ll have seen the man who created his vision board. He put up pictures of his wildest dreams and then expected them to happen. Thinking about these things with God, asking God for these things and expecting them to happen in faith is the reality of creating with God. You tell God what is that you want and by asking, and seeing it happen you essentially are creating it with him. For me. I think God gives me ideas and thoughts about what I can achieve and expect. Then I ask for them and I get to see how God unfolds his plan to me.
Thank you for taking the time to read this. If you have any opinions please share them in the comments below. Don’t forget to Subscribe in the sidebar!